Algebra 1/2 is made up of five instructional components: Introduction of the New Increment, Examples with Complete Solutions, Practice of the Increment, Daily Problem Set, and Cumulative Tests. Algebra 1/2 covers all topics normally taught in pre-algebra, as well as additional topics from geometry and discrete mathematics. It is recommended for seventh-graders who plan to take first-year algebra in the eighth grade, or for eighth-graders who plan to take first-year algebra in the ninth grade. Algebra 1/2 represents the culmination of the study of pre-algebra mathematics.
In Algebra 1/2, students will learn:
- fractions and their arithmetic operations
- decimals and their arithmetic operations
- mixed numbers and their arithmetic operations
- signed numbers and their arithmetic operations
- translating from words to algebraic expressions
- order of operations
- place value
- unit conversions
- scientific notation
- data representation
- evaluation of algebraic expressions
- the simplification of algebraic expressions
- the solution of linear equations in one unknown
- word problems involving pre-algebraic concepts
- surface area
- classification of geometric figures and solids
- geometric constructions
Algebra 1/2 Homeschool Kit Contents
Saxon's secondary mathematics programs have been carefully planned and packaged. All you need to successfully teach each program is included in the homeschool kit. The Algebra 1/2 homeschool kit includes a textbook, an answer key for textbook problem sets, and tests (consumable) with solutions/answers.
The Solutions Manual provides step-by-step solutions for each problem in the textbook problem sets. Solutions to test problems included with answer key.
Note: If your student has a proficiency level at 80% or above for Saxon 8/7 they move directly to Algebra 1.