Reading with History D+E
Ships for FREE with fast, trackable shipping (lower 48 states).
- What's Included
Journey through all of American History!
Experience the story of our nation from before Columbus to the present day.
Enjoy fascinating books as you follow the lesson plan each day.
Embrace the innovative spirit that has characterized American history.
Meet early explorers, American Indians, founding heroes, famous inventors and ordinary citizens with extraordinary stories.
Purchase this package and you'll get both the hard copy and online version of the Instructor's Guide.
BookShark's condensed one year course was developed for customers who cannot spend two years on American History.
Primarily designed for customers who are new to BookShark and want to move quickly to the older programs as well as customers from countries outside the U.S. who prefer to study American History for a year.
Reading with History D+E Condensed - Includes:
Includes a 36-Week, 4-Day schedule designed to save one day a week for co-ops, music lessons, sports, field trips or other extra-curricular activities. Includes colorful map answer keys, discussion questions and answers as well as background notes to help you get the most from the time you spend with your child.
History & Geography │Intro to American History, One Year Condensed
Get to know heroes like Abraham Lincoln, Eleanor Roosevelt and the Wright brothers.
Find out how Americans' unique perspective--our egalitarianism, our desire for change, and our "can-do" spirit--contributed to inventions such as ready-to-wear clothing, department stores and skyscrapers. Discover why time zones and "fast food" came into existence. Examine how mass immigration, women's suffrage, the labor movement and the Great Depression impacted the social, political, and economic climate of the country. Discuss how racism has influenced life for individuals and the entire nation throughout the years.
Read, grow and learn together. History books, biographies and enriching "extras" add depth to your study this year. Highlights here include:
- The only biography to win a Newbery Medal
- A CD with great songs of Americana. These are songs your children should know for the sake of cultural literacy, from "Camptown Races" to "America the Beautiful."
- Timeline figures to continue your ever-expanding timeline. This tool helps you see exactly how history unfolds
- An accessible look at World Wars I and II, with plenty of appropriate photographs and detailed maps
Make a real connection with your child as you read these books with your kids! Read about real life for Americans through the centuries and ...
- Meet an all-time favorite heroine: an 11-year-old girl who helps keep peace between Indians and pioneers
- March through the American Civil War with Jethro. Watch him become a man and begin to understand the issues behind the conflict
- Join the delightful story of a poor Jewish family in a crowded section of New York City at the turn of the century
- Hunt buffalo, live in a teepee and ride bareback as you discover what it's like to live as a Crow Indian
Your kids will meet inspiring characters such as Helen Keller, Harriet Tubman and Thomas Edison. A few Readers are for pure fun, but most tie directly to the history content.
A few essential resources make your learning extra rich this year. You'll use The Timeline Book and the Markable Map throughout your BookShark journey.
Estimated daily time for Intro to American History, One-Year Condensed plus your other subjects:
Student: 3.5-4.5 hrs | Parent: 2-3hrs
- History D+E (Condensed) Instructor's Guide (B-DEHB)
- Timeline Figures - D+E (B-DEHB1)
- What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin? (B-DH01)
- The Constitution of the United States, A True Book (B-DH06)
- The Bill of Rights, A True Book (B-DH07)
- Pedro's Journal (B-DH08)
- The Landmark History of the American People, Volume 1 (B-DH10)
- The Lewis & Clark Expedition (B-DH14)
- Explore Native American Cultures!: With 25 Great Projects (B-DH22)
- A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt (B-EH01)
- The Landmark History of the American People, Volume II (B-EH12)
- Songs About America - Digital (B-EH19)
- Freedom Train (B-ER03)
- The Wright Brothers (B-ER15)
- Hero Over Here (B-ER19)
- Thomas Edison: Inventor with a Lot of Bright Ideas (B-ER24)
- Toliver's Secret (B-DA05)
- Justin Morgan Had a Horse (B-DA09)
- Pocahontas and the Strangers (B-DR01)
- The Matchlock Gun (B-DR02)
- Phoebe the Spy (B-DR04)
- Sarah, Plain and Tall (B-DR07)
- Om-Kas-Toe (B-DR16)
- The Great Turkey Walk (B-EA02)
- The Great Wheel (B-EA10)
- By the Great Horn Spoon (B-ER02)
- Shades of Gray (B-ER04)
- Turn Homeward, Hannalee (B-ER05)
- Old Yeller (B-ER06)
- Helen Keller (B-ER07)
- Thimble Summer (B-ER09)
- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson (B-ER10)
- The Seventeenth Swap (B-ER13)
One Set of Consumables is included with the package. To add consumables for another student please click here.
Is BookShark a History or a Reading program?
BookShark is both! We are a literature based program that teaches History through reading and listening. In Levels K-2, the focus of our program is on developing and strengthening reading ability. This is why we offer multiple Reader levels for the early packages. Beginning in Level 3, however, the focus shifts from strengthening reading ability to building reading comprehension. From Level 3 up, we integrate the Reading, Read-Alouds, and Language Arts assignments with the History readings. Instead of learning to read, your children will be reading to learn!
Do the Readers integrate with the History reading?
Yes, they do! For Level 3 and up, all of our Readers were chosen because of how well they represent the topics and times you'll be studying in History readings. The Readers in this package also integrate with Language Arts assignments. This approach gives your student an opportunity to soak up subject matter in three different ways: by listening, by writing, and (of course) by reading!
Can I use this package with both of my children?
Yes, you can! If your children are within three years of age, they can share the same BookShark Reading with History package – including Read-Alouds, history books, the Timeline Book, and Timeline Figures.
Not sure if this is the right fit? Please review the options below to find a package that will work for both of your children:
If there is more than a three year age difference between your children, we recommend that you purchase a separate package for each student.
Can I purchase the History program without the Readers?
We do not offer a History package without Readers because learning through reading is fundamental to our program. If you are certain that you do not want the Readers, you can add the History books and Read-Alouds to your cart individually. Please use the list on the "See All BookShark Products" page as a reference.
What are the “Required Resources” and why are they required?
The Required Resources includes a big binder with 36 week tabs for your Instructor’s Guides, The Timeline Book, a reusable Markable Map, and a set of wet-erase markers. These resources will be reused in almost every level of our History program and can be shared by multiple students. You will be given the option to purchase these items every time you buy an All-Subject or Reading with History Package, but you only need to buy it once.
The decision to homeschool our daughter, Alexa, was an easy one. Choosing a curriculum that worked well with her goals and schedule was a little more difficult.