Witness the rise and fall of ancient empires!
- Discover how people lived around the world from ancient times through the Renaissance.
- Relax with complete lesson plans and materials for homeschool success.
- Meet Augustus Caesar, samurai warriors, Incan emperors, Joan of Arc and more!
- Bring the ancient world to life with vivid biographies, historical fiction and award-winning literature.
Find answers to real-life questions such as: How did ancient Egypt, Israel and Assyria interact? Where did the Greeks come from? Why did Greek civilization give way to the Romans? Why did the Roman Empire fall? How did Asian culture develop during that same time? How did Western history progress during the Dark Ages? How did those centuries give rise to the Renaissance?
Included in this package:
Includes a 36-Week, 4-Day schedule designed to save one day a week for co-ops, music lessons, sports, field trips or other extra-curricular activities. Includes colorful map answer keys, discussion questions and answers as well as background notes to help you get the most from the time you spend with your child.
As an added benefit in 2016, you will receive free online access for 1 year to the electronic version of this guide.
History & Geography
- Journey through Ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greek culture, Ancient Rome and much more!
- The first two volumes in the Story of the World books will take you on a gripping story-based trek through history
- Timeline figures to continue your ever-expanding timeline. This tool helps you see exactly how history unfolds
- Share and savor classic poetry from Shakespeare to J.R.R. Tolkien, Emily Dickinson to Langston Hughes, covering a range of topics such as pets, nature, family and more
- Enjoy the mystery and intrigue of Ancient times
- Read about heros with lifelike qualities with whom you can sympathize
- Your kids will get an up close look at what life might have been like through the eyes of Kings & Queens, egyptians, knights, samurai warriors, Incan emperors and more!
- A few essential resources make your learning extra rich this year. You'll use The Timeline Book and the Markable Map throughout your BookShark journey.
Is BookShark a History or a Reading program?
BookShark is both! We are a literature based program that teaches History through reading and listening. At Level K-2, the focus of our program is on developing and strengthening reading ability. This is why we offer multiple Reader levels for the early packages. Beginning in Level 3, however, the focus shifts from strengthening reading ability to building reading comprehension. From Level 3 up, we integrate the Reading, Read-Alouds, and Language Arts assignments with the History readings. Instead of learning to read, your children will be reading to learn!
Do the Readers integrate with the History reading?
Yes, they do! For Level 3 and up, all of our Readers were chosen because of how well they represent the topics and times you'll be studying in History readings. The Readers in this package also integrate with Language Arts assignments. This approach gives your student an opportunity to soak up subject matter in three different ways: by listening, by writing, and (of course) by reading!
Can I use this package with both of my children?
Yes, you can! If your children are within three years of age, they can share the same BookShark Reading with History package – including Read-Alouds, history books, the Timeline Book, and Timeline Figures.
Not sure if this is the right fit? Please review the options below to find a package that will work for both of your children:
- Ages 8-11 | Reading with History 3
- Ages 9-12 | Reading with History 4
- Ages 10-13 | Reading with History 5
- Ages 12-14 | Reading with History 7
- Ages 13-15 | Reading with History 8 (coming soon!)
- Ages 12-16 | American History & Literature 100
If there is more than a three year age difference between your children, we recommend that you purchase a separate package for each student. Our Reading with History 1 (for ages 6-8) is a nice thematic match to our 6th Grade package since both cover the first part of World History.
Can I purchase the History program without the Readers?
We do not offer a History package without Readers because learning through reading is fundamental to our program. If you are certain that you do not want the Readers, you can add the History books and Read-Alouds to your cart individually. Please use the list on the "See All BookShark Products" page as a reference.
What are the “Required Resources” and why are they required?
The Required Resources includes a big binder with 36 week tabs for your Instructor’s Guides, The Timeline Book, a reusable Markable Map, and a set of wet-erase markers. These resources will be reused in almost every level of our History program and can be shared by multiple students. You will be given the option to purchase these items every time you buy a Full-Grade package, but you only need to buy it once.